Honestly, going into this reading, I figured math history was just a straight line from ancient Greece to Western Europe. Reading the introduction to George Gheverghese Joseph's The Crest of the Peacock completely threw that assumption out the window. Here are three specific things in the reading that really caught me off guard:
- The ancient Greeks explicitly admitted they learned their math from Egypt.
I was surprised to find out that people like Aristotle explicitly called Egypt the "cradle of mathematics". Key figures we always study, like Pythagoras, Thales, and Eudoxus, actually traveled to Egypt and Mesopotamia to study arithmetic, geometry, and astronomy. It changed how I view where "Western" math actually came from. - The Maya created zero and crazy accurate calendars with no clocks or glass.
I knew zero was invented in India, but I didn't realize the Maya independently developed a base-20 place-value system with zero completely isolated from the rest of the world. What blew my mind even more was their astronomical accuracy: without optical lenses, glass, or any mechanical clocks, they calculated the synodic period of Venus (584 days) with an error of less than 0.08 days. Seeing what they achieved purely through observational patience was wild. - "Algebra" originally meant setting broken bones.
I knew algebra was an Arabic word, but I had no idea about its literal medical root. The word comes from Al-Khwarizmi’s book Hisab al-jabr w'al-muqabala. In Arabic, jabr means "restoration" or "reunion" (moving negative terms across an equation), but historically it referred to setting broken bones. Joseph even mentions that in medieval Spain, barbershops hung signs reading "Algebrafista y Sangrador" to advertise bone-setting and bloodletting! Connecting my high school math class to medieval bone-setting was easily the weirdest detail in the whole reading.
No comments:
Post a Comment